Frequently Asked Questions

Yellow Ribbon only accepts referrals on our YR1 referral form. It can be found  HERE,  

You can contact us on 01952 878592 if you need to discuss any of the criteria for eligibility

If you are leaving prison and the resettlement team or your probation officer has referred you, a support worker can sometimes meet you at the prison gates. If you are making your own way here we are just a few minutes walk from the local Rail and Bus stations.

We are at Meeting Point House in Southwater Square, Telford.

You can find us here MAP

Both universal credit and housing benefit are arranged through the Jobcentre.

Yellow Ribbon staff can assist you with your claim and if needed keyworkers can accompany you to interviews.

The Telford Jobcentre is a short distance from Yellow Ribbon offices MAP

The Shrewsbury Jobcentre is in the Square MAP

Some services will accept prison discharge paperwork as proof of ID, but many will want to see either a drivers licence, passport or birth certificate. Yellow Ribbon can assist with obtaining a copy of birth certificates and finding National Insurance details.

We have access to a range of agencies and support services that can assist with finding employment – many of which are sympathetic to employing ex-offenders..

We suggest that a key step in securing work is signing up to our BBO project where we work closely with you to build a CV and portfolio of experience that will ensure you have the best possible chance in interviews. 

Yellow Ribbon staff can help you find the dentist closest to you, and you should register as soon as possible. 

If however you need emergency dental treatment, or have not been able to locate an NHS dentist you can visit one of the emergency drop-in clinics – see

You will need to provide proof of benefits to qualify for free treatment.

Yellow Ribbon staff will be able to assist you in finding the closest doctors surgery to you.

A list of surgeries in Telford can be found here

A list of surgeries in Shrewsbury can be fornd here

Yellow Ribbon keyworkers are always there for you and will make you aware of how they can be contacted.

We have several specialist counsellors who can help you work through any of the issues you may have when leaving prison,  But if you need someone to talk urgently to someone you can contact the Samaritans free on 116 123  or  use the online help tool at Mind

If you are ready to make a commitment to turn your life around, we are ready to help.

We actively  support clients who will commit to recovery, providing support and counselling services along with regular sessions with partner agencies (STaRSTACT etc) who can provide additional specifically targeted support with different types of addiction and recovery.

Yellow Ribbon has a strict no drugs or alcohol policy in force at all of our properties and random testing is in place to enforce this.

A genuine commitment to abstinence is needed

Yellow Ribbon can assist you with benefits claims and can offer appointments  with budgeting / financial advice specialists who can provide debt management support.

If you are not in receipt of benefits or have been sanctioned we can also assist you in contacting local food banks.

We occasionally have donations of clothes and other items to help you get started. 

Yellow Ribbon staff can provide a wide range of help and support, but when we don’t know the answer – we usually know someone who does.

A really good point of contact for advice with things like benefit eligibility etc is the CAB – who have offices in both Telford and Shrewsbury.

Yellow Ribbon is a Christian Charity.

We are committed to supporting all – regardless of faith (or lack of) – So we make no assumptions about your faith.  But  we do ask that you respect our values.

Should you wish for help to begin to discover or build upon your faith we are here to help and support, and have close ties with a range of churches and faith groups of all types who will welcome you.

Start Typing

We are a Christian charity supporting ex-offenders on release from prison in the West Midlands.